John Gribbin was born in 1946 in Maidstone, Kent. He studied physics at the University of Sussex and went on to complete an MSc in astronomy at the same University before moving to the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, to work for his PhD.
After working for the journal Nature and New Scientist, and three years with the Science Policy Research Unit at Sussex University, he has concentrated chiefly on writing books. These include In Search of Schrödinger’s Cat, In Search of the Big Bang, and In Search of the Multiverse.
He has also written and presented several series of critically acclaimed radio programmes on scientific topics for the BBC (including QUANTUM, for Radio Four), and has acted as consultant on several TV documentaries, as well as contributing to TV programmes for the Open University and the Discovery channel.
But he really wanted to be a successful science fiction writer, and has achieved that ambition with books such as Timeswitch and The Alice Encounter, and stories in publications such as Interzone and Analog. But as John Lennon’s Aunt Mimi so nearly said “Sf is all very well, John, but it won’t pay the rent”. Another thing that doesn’t pay the rent is his songwriting, mostly for various spinoffs of the Bonzo Dog Band.
John is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, as well as being a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical and Royal Meteorological Societies.
John’s story Something to Beef about is included in the anthology Existence is Elsewhen which was published by Elsewhen Press on 18th March 2016.
The definitive collection of John’s Science Fiction short stories (with two Science Fact essays on subjects beloved of SF fans), Don’t Look Back, was published by Elsewhen Press on 5th May 2017.
- “a meaty, classic collection” – review by Brian Clegg of John Gribbin’s Don’t Look Back
- “intelligent, intriguing and imaginative” – review of Don’t Look Back on RisingShadow
- “a sharp collection” – 8/10 review of Existence is Elsewhen on Starbust Magazine
- “excellent and wonderfully imaginative” – review of Existence is Elsewhen on Risingshadow
- Nine Worlds 2017 – we had a blast! August 9, 2017
- Booklet from Nine Worlds 2017 goody bag. August 8, 2017
- Don’t Look Back by John Gribbin now available to pre-order April 15, 2017
- Collection of SF stories addresses issues especially relevant in a time of dubious politicians March 10, 2017
- Published today – Existence is Elsewhen, Science Fiction anthology headlined by John Gribbin March 18, 2016
There are no upcoming events to display at this time.
John can be contacted via Elsewhen Press using john.gribbin (at) elsewhen.co.uk