In 2180, travel to neighbouring star systems has been mastered thanks to quantum teleportation using the ‘entanglement’ of sub-atomic matter; astronauts on earth can be duplicated on a remote world once the dupliport chamber has arrived there. In this way a variety of worlds can be explored, but what humanity discovers is both surprising and disturbing, enlightening and shocking. Each alternative to mankind that the astronauts find, sheds light on human shortcomings and potential while offering fresh perspectives of life on Earth. Meanwhile, at home, the lives of the astronauts and those in charge of the missions will never be the same again.
Best described as philosophical science fiction, Entanglement explores our assumptions about such constants as death, birth, sex and conflict, as the characters in the story explore distant worlds and the intelligent life that lives there. It is simultaneously a novel and a series of short stories: multiple worlds, each explored in a separate chapter, a separate story; every one another step on mankind’s journey outwards to the stars and inwards to our own psyche. Yet the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts; the synergy of the episodes results in an overarching story arc that ultimately tells us more about ourselves than about the rest of the universe.
Entanglement was published in a digital edition on 1 August 2012 and in paperback on 3 November 2012
ISBN: 978-1-908168-15-3 eBook Typical price £2.99 / €3.49 / $3.99
ISBN: 978-1-908168-05-4 paperback 336pp List price £9.99 / €11.99 / $15.99
Prices online may vary. eBook price includes VAT (where applicable).
- Douglas Thompson – “an undeniable master of his craft” says Chris Kelso on SF Signal
- “I was strongly reminded of HG Wells” – review of Entanglement on Murder Mayhem & More
- “prepare to be entangled” – review of Entanglement on British Fantasy Society website
- “a clever book, packed with ideas” – Review of Entanglement on Vicky Thinks
- “a compelling tour de force” – review of Entanglement on The Future Fire
- “I wish there were more science fiction like it” – review of Entanglement at Sein und Werden
- “enthralling science fiction” – review of Entanglement on sci-fi online
- “effortlessly engaging” – review of Entanglement on The Horror Zine
- “brimming with ideas” – review of Entanglement on Warpcore SF
- “A memorable book”, review of Entanglement on Science Fiction & Fantasy blog
- “ one of the most fascinating science fiction novels I’ve read” – Review of Entanglement on Rising Shadows
TRAILER NOW ONLINE:
Available from all Apple iBookstores
Available from Kobobooks
Available from Barnes & Noble
Available to buy from Google Play
Available from all good bookshops.
Or BUY DIRECT from the Elsewhen Press Purchasing Portal.
Advance Information Sheet available here